Best Portable Solar Chargers You Can Take Anywhere
A solar power bank is a small, portable way to bring electricity wherever you go. They also come with built-in solar panels to give you an off-grid option for recharging your power bank when outlets are not available. They are usually around the size of a cell phone and are a perfect way to meet your power needs, whether you are on a camping trip or hiking in the mountains.
Most solar power banks are similar in design but vary in their amp-hour charging specifications and battery capacity. When you are looking for a power bank for your outdoor fun, make sure you know what devices you will be charging and how much power you need in the minimum amount. That way, you will always have enough charge to do the job without disappointment or frustration.
Power banks come in varying degrees of quality with silicone, ABS, or PV materials. They often have extra features like flashlights or a compass. Make sure the quality extends to these extras if you plan to use them or not. The extras can give you the advantage during an emergency, but also give you a way to be safe in case there are problems like getting lost.
What are the Best Solar Power Banks?
The best solar power banks have many things that are good about them and many potential problems. Do your homework before you buy a solar panel charger to make sure it will match your needs for the long-term as well as the short term.
The Blavor Qi Portable Charger is one of the newest, most advanced solar power banks on the market. It is heavy-duty and built to travel into the great outdoors. It can charge your tablets and cell phones quickly without using charging cables.
You can recharge your solar power bank through micro USB cable within your home or type C input port or using sunlight. If you plan to use the power bank frequently, you should charge using a regular charging sourced from a home or carport outlet as solar power is not consistent and high levels of intense sunlight is a must.
You can fully recharge your portable charger using a 5V/2A adapter up to six hours and can recharge devices two or three times, depending on the amount of power they require. It is a perfect device for emergencies as it is high-quality, durable, and made with ABS fireproof materials.
This portable charger comes with a premium lithium polymer battery to store the energy it collects with an IPX4 Splash Proof casing, making it water-resistant. The case is also shockproof and dustproof to keep the charger functioning at its peak. There are also built-in features for emergency use, including a compass and two flashlights.
- Ten Thousand mAh Battery Capacity.
- The charger is compatible with iSO and Android devices.
- Wireless charging ready.
- You can charge it using a micro USB, Type C input charging, and solar charging.
- It can recharge in up to six hours with a 5V/2A adapter.
- ABS Fire Proof materials.
- IPX4 splash guard for water resistance.
- Comes with a built-in compass and two Flashlights
- The battery is strong to charge multiple devices at once.
- The flashlights are powerful LEDs.
- The protective case is non-slip for easy handling
- The charger is water-resistant, not rainproof.
- The solar charge capabilities are not great, even in direct sunlight for hours.
The BEARTWO Ultra-Compact Solar Power Bank is lightweight and easy to carry. The solar power bank is only 7.4 ounces and is easy to carry with you on your travels. The design of the frame of the solar charger comes with a hanger so you can hang it backpacks to get solar while you hike or do other outdoor activities.
The Beartwo solar power bank is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. It is easy to fit in your gear as you travel and only add 1.74 ounces to your pack. It also has a handy rubber hook so you can attach it on the outside of your pack in case your pack is full. It also makes it easy to recharge by the sun while you hike.
You can charge two devices at the same time, quickly with an output of up to five volts in around five hours. Its duel-USB output helps you save time and energy. The solar power bank is IP67 waterproof with rubber port covers for all ports not in use. The rubber ports help protect the battery from water along with the tough rubber exterior and anti-slip surface.
The Beartwo Solar power bank comes with a built-in LED flashlight that has three easy-to-use modes, including normal, SOS and strobe. The lights are good to use around campgrounds or in case of emergencies. It comes with a silicone rubber cover; the material is eco-friendly and mixed with ABS and PC materials to make it durable. Safety ratings come with the devices for RoHS certification, CE, and FCC compliance.
- The solar charger is compact.
- It has Dual-USB output capabilities.
- It comes with a reinforced hole so you can hook and carry it.
- It can fully charge devices in up to five hours.
- It is IP67 rated for waterproof.
- The USB ports have rubber covers that help protect the battery.
- Built-in mini flashlight.
- Water-proof and Dustproof
- The flashlight has three modes normal, SOS, and Strobe.
- It has eco-friendly material silicone materials along with ABS and PC.
- CE, RoHS, and FCC certified for safety.
- The solar charging feature is powerful in continuous, direct sunlight.
- The added hole to hook and carry charger is convenient.
- The battery capacity is large for such a small charger.
- The solar does not charge well in less than perfect direct solar.
- The rubber port covers can come loose.
The BESWILL 8000mAh Solar Charger is a high capacity solar charger. You can charge your Smart Phone up to four times using the charger. The charger has a pilot light indicator to show you how charged it is that slowly drops as you deplete the stored energy when you are charging the device, the same lights active to show you the level of charge as its increase in power, including a green light that indicates a full charge.
You can charge your solar charger using a micro USB cable or using direct sunlight. It has a blue pilot light that indicates that it is charging. It also comes with three output charging ports that are 5V/2A.The ports are quick charging ports. A powerful LED flashlight comes built into the portable charger with three different levels of light power available, including normal, medium, and high.
Made with high-quality ABS materials, the Beswill solar charger is durable and strong. It also comes with a hook so you can clip it to a backpack while you hike or travel. The solar charger will charge your solar charger in up to seven days if the charger is in direct sunlight. If you plug it in, you can charge it in up to ten hours.
- The solar charger has eight thousand mAH
- There are three USB charging ports.
- You can charge your Smart Phone up to four times before you need to recharge your charger.
- A flashlight comes built into the charger.
- The solar charger is high-quality ABS materials.
- You can carry the charger by the attached hook.
- You can charge your power bank in up to seven hours in direct sunlight.
- If you charge your power bank using an outlet, it will take up to ten hours.
- You can clip the charger to your backpack if you are traveling.
- The portable charger can charge three devices at once.
- The power bank has an easy-to-grip design.
- It takes a long time to charge using solar power.
- The power bank can die quickly if used daily.
The Hiluckey 25000mAh Solar Power Bank is a high capacity bank. It can produce up to twenty-five thousand mAH and uses a lithium-polymer battery pack to charge the built-in battery. The battery is strong and can recharge your devices between four and ten times before it needs recharging.
The solar power bank is a unique design that folds in and out as you need. The fold-out design allows you to go from one to four mini solar charging panels that can pull in up to five watts of power on a sunny day. The solar charging feature is efficient and can charge up to six times faster than other solar chargers.
The Solar Power Bank comes with dual USB charging ports that charge your devices at high speeds. The ports have built-in intelligent detectors that automatically sense the amount of energy your devices require and shut off power if it is too much to prevent damages.
The device comes waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. It also comes with nine built-in lights that have three modes of use including, normal, SOS, and strobe. The ports also have protective rubber covers to prevent water from getting in.
- Twenty-five mAh capacity.
- It comes with a built-in lithium-polymer battery.
- You can chare your devices between four and ten times, depending on power requirements.
- It comes with four foldable solar panels.
- It has dual USB ports
- It comes with overheating and short circuit protection.
- It has nine LED lights built-in.
- The light has three different modes, including normal, SOS, and strobe.
- Waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof,
- The device has four small solar panels, not just one.
- The solar panel charger works quickly in direct sunlight.
- You can charge two devices quickly.
- It can take a while to charge the battery bank if not in direct sunlight.
- The battery can go bad and not hold a charge.
The GoerTek 25000mAh Solar Power Bank is a high capacity solar charger. The built-in twenty-five thousand mAh Li-polymer battery is strong enough to charge multiple devices up to seven different times, depending on the device charging requirements.
There are two different ways to charge the GoerTek Power Bank through the solar panel or a 5V/2A adapter. When charging, a blue indicator light is on showing the charging status with green light coming on when it is full. It has three USB ports to charge multiple devices at once.
It also comes with a loop to hook an additional carabineer to charge the power bank while you hike or travel. The solar panel comes in high-quality ABS materials and has thirty-six LED lights with low, middle, and high light settings. The device quality extends to being IPX 6 waterproof to help protect it from moisture or fire.
You can charge your battery pack in thirteen hours if using a regular home or car outlet. It can take anywhere from three to five days using solar power, depending on the type of solar you are receiving.
- Twenty-five thousand maH charging bank.
- The battery pack is a Li-polymer battery.
- The charger can charge your devices at a maximum of seven times, depending on the device.
- You can charge using solar or a 5V/2A charging cable.
- There are blue lights to indicate the bank is charging with a green light for a full charge.
- You can charge up to three devices using the charging ports.
- It is top-quality manufacturing with ABS materials.
- It comes with thirty-six LED lights that have low, medium, and high light settings.
- IPX6 Waterproof.
- The solar charging panel is IPX6 waterproof.
- You have three light levels to choose from low, middle, and high.
- You can charge your device in thirteen hours if plugged in.
- The flashlight switch can break.
- It can be difficult to get a full charge using solar.
What Should you Consider when Purchasing a Solar Power Bank?
Before you buy a solar charger, know how much power you will need to get a good estimate on your power needs. The type of charger you buy needs to meet your power needs and provide you with enough backup power in case of problems.
Solar Power Banks vs. Solar Chargers
Solar power banks are banks of stored solar energy you can use as you need. The banks store energy through solar panels that direct electricity into your batteries for later use. Depending on the type of system you set up and the number of solar panels you have, you can generate a small to a large amount of energy into your power banks.
Solar chargers typically are more portable options for charging your devices. They are smaller than power banks and can help you keep your devices charged wherever you are. They come with built-in solar panels to charge your devices without storing large amounts of power to use later.
Expecting to charge using only solar panels
Depending on the type of system you assemble, you can charge everything using solar panels off of a solar bank. The system only works with a large number of solar panels that most people do not have as they travel. You should not expect to be able to charge your devices completely using solar panels through your solar panel bank.
It can take hours to charge a power bank, so you will need to supplement your solar intake through an external hookup to your house or vehicle. You should choose the devices to charge using your solar power bank that is lower power draws or that you do not need to charge as frequently as other things.
Milliamp-hour measurements in battery capacity
Part of having a solar-powered battery storage system is knowing how to calculate your intake of solar and rate of discharge. Your batteries can store around 2.5 times more electricity than the ten thousand Ah power bank. You can measure your batty capacity by adding your measurable amp-hour storage in all of your devices and multiplying that by how often you charge them. That number is the amount of power you regularly need to meet your device power needs and see if it matches the capacity of your system.
Solar power banks can hold up to twenty-five thousand measurable amp-hours depending on the type of bank. The more amp hours your battery has, the more power your battery bank can store. For perspective, if you have a twenty-five thousand amp hour battery, you can charge your iPhone X about nine times because of the 2716 amp hour battery. You need to note how much power all your AC devices pull so you can know how much DC power your system can put out.
Water-resistant vs. Waterproof
Water-resistant devices are different than water-proof. Water-resistant means your power bank can withstand small amounts of moisture from dew in the air to small showers. You will need to dry that power bank before use to prevent damage completely. When you are looking at power banks, you will need to make sure which type of water-resistance your power bank has.
Water-proofing or water-resistance is in the IP ratings on the devices. There should be two numbers to interpret with the higher the IP rating, the more waterproof the device is. The numbers denote how much waterproofing the device has with an IP67 device indicating resistance to damage if submerged in one meter of water for up to thirty minutes (the seven shows this). Make sure you read other people's reviews to make sure the reading is correct because water-resistance is not water-proof.
Not everyone needs to charge their devices on the go, but have a solar power bank can help you when you are in need. They are an excellent item to have when you are traveling off-grid. They are ideal for camping or hiking when you are away from power sources to keep your phones and tablets going.
Of all the portable chargers you can purchase, the Blavor Qi Portable Charger comes out on top. The Blavor Qi Portable Charger comes out on top for the most durable. It can charge most of your devices quickly and without hassle. It can take time to recharge using solar, but if you are outside all day, you should not have a problem.